Sunday, May 18, 2014

guest mix: the silent project (part II)

I've had the opportunity to host some music by THE SILENT PROJECT (which you can see HERE), and I was pretty sure that I'd have that chance to do something more in the future. Well, it's the future. I was playing one of the many things that I have in the PREVIEW PLAYLIST on my Mixcloud account, and THÉURGIE comes along that stops time completely while it's spinning. I actually had to concentrate to keep from holding my breath. There are many classical influences throughout this mix that create the tension and release of harmonic depth that pull me in. While I'm listening to this, I keep thinking 'it can't be this amazing for the entire piece of music, it has to taper off'. But luckily, I'm wrong. There is no real zenith to this mix, it keeps climbing and taking me right along with it. By the time it does end, I'm ready to listen to it again. Like a good book or movie unfolding, I never stop to look at the time or even have the urge or ability to let my mind wander. My thirst for finding the perfect mix is quenched.

For inspiration to create this mix, it was mostly conceived while a boating excursion along a wild river in the Amazon. The picture on the player below is from this trip. The mix is meant to convey the beauty and power of that environment. And it definitely does. Let your mind take in the achingly beautiful sounds of Théurgie. Let your soul's thirst for inner peace and beauty be a sponge for it's offerings. Let your thoughts give in to the mindful transitions and selections presented within this piece. If I had just one wish, it would have been to look over Greg's shoulder while he was making this, in awe of his musical palette and thoughtful knowledge of what to put together to make one of the best mixes that I've heard. 

Make sure that you visit THE SILENT PROJECT, and show the love. Follow him and keep up with his mixes. You can also download his most current mixes from his SOUNDCLOUD page and visit his FACEBOOK page for updates and news. Lastly, he composes original music that can be found on his BANDCAMP page! Thanks, Greg, for not only creating such beautiful work, but also for keeping me inspired and allowing me to be a part of hosting Théurgie. 


Turn on, tune in, sleep...







TRACK LISTING


  • Unbroken Continuity - Dadub
  • Articulate Silences Part 1 – Stars Of The Lid
  • Walzer für Robert – Anne Muller
  • Labyrinthine – Julianna Barwick
  • Radio 110 FM – Janek Schaefer
  • Vancouver Island Quartet – Christina Vantzou
  • Jyaku – Ryuichi Sakamoto & Taylor Duepree
  • Rafael Anton Irisarri
  • Glámur – Amiina
  • Broken Town – Sangam
  • Fragment I – Library Tapes
  • The Flat – Johann Johannsson
  • Vostok – Christian Vantzou
  • Hospital – Johann Johannsson
  • Only Child – Julia Kent
  • Nautical2 - Loscil
  • Barcarole – Tchaikovsky
  • Radio 103 FM – Janek Shaefer

No comments: